Brandy Hall

Today, I am going to be discussing the 2006 vanishing of a 32-year old mother and firefighter, Brandy Hall. This case is moderately well-covered in the armchair detective community–there is a Disappeared episode, as well as a smattering of podcast and Youtube channel episodes (including a whole season of Murder on the Space Coast). So, it’s not as if the case has been completely ignored in the media. Yet, it’s one that has started to really bug me, and kind of demanded I do a write-up on it. So here we are.

The events we are most concerned with took place late on the night of August 17th and in the early morning hours of August 18th, 2006, in Malabar, Florida. Based on all the descriptions I have read, Malabar is a fairly rural region, and one of the few places in the whole state where a substantial number of the roadways are unpaved. On that night, Brandy Hall was working the night shift as a volunteer firefighter. At around 9:30 pm, she spoke on the phone with her husband, Jeff Hall. Jeff Hall was staying home with the couple’s 10-year old daughter and 5-year old son that night. According to Jeff, he and the kids all fell asleep watching a TV show together. Jeff had to appear in court the following morning, and Brandy promised to be there. She said prayers with the kids–apparently this was a common ritual when she was working overnight–and then went back to her duties. Jeff would call her again at 11:30 to let her know the appointment had been moved forward an hour, but would receive no response. Figuring she was just busy at the fire station, he decided he would contact her again in the morning.

However, unbeknownst to her husband, Brandy had left work. At 10:30 pm, she told her coworkers she didn’t feel well and that she was going to go home for the night. She can be seen on surveillance camera walking through the common room of the station and exchanging a few words with one of the other firefighters. At 10:50 pm, her green Silverado pickup truck can be seen pulling out of the station parking lot. I have heard one source say that she stopped at a nearby Sunoco gas station to fill up the truck, but I have also read that her credit cards had not been used since the previous day, so if she did purchase gas at the Sunoco, I am not sure how it was verified. What is known is that Brandy made a call at 11:06 pm, and the call lasted almost 11 minutes. The person she was speaking to was a man named Randall Richmond. Randall was the fire chief at the Palm Bay station, located about five miles away, a station at which Brandy had previously worked. He and his wife Anne-Marie, as well as their three teenage sons, had been longtime friends of the Halls.

Except for one, highly plausible sighting of her, the parking lot footage of Brandy’s truck driving away is her last verified location. She was declared legally dead in 2015, nine years to the day she vanished. Her mother, Debbie Rogge, and half-sister are still very active in promoting the investigation and seeking answers to what actually led to her disappearance. The case is openly being investigated as a homicide.

Now, there is much, much more to this story. First, let’s spend some time discussing who Brandy Hall was. Brandy was born on September 14th, 1973. She was the only child of her parents’ marriage, but she did have an older half-sister from her father’s previous marriage. I have never seen actual documentation that Brandy’s maiden name was “Rogge”, as I have only seen her referred to by her married name of Hall.

 Based on accounts by her friends and family, she really made the most out of growing up in rural Florida. As both a child and adult, she was very physically active, and loved to fish, hunt, boat, and drive three-wheelers. When she was 11 years old, there was an incident which her mother thinks may have had a huge effect on her future career choices. While playing outside, Brandy was in a bad accident involving an ATV, leaving severe head and facial injuries. She required multiple surgeries to repair the broken bones in her skull, and even as an adult she suffered from severe chronic migraines and required non-narcotic pain medication. It may have been this experience which made Brandy want to carve out a niche for herself as a someone who aided others. She trained as a firefighter, EMT, and paramedic, eventually gaining a full-time position for the Palm Bay Fire Department, where she worked with Randall Richmond.

It was through her work that Brandy met another firefighter named Jeff Hall, whom she married. He was 11 years older than she was, but the two hit it off and Brandy’s family really warmed to Jeff from the start. Jeff was promoted to the position of fire chief for the Oceola Fire Department while Brandy worked for Palm Bay. Between their jobs and the two children, it was a demanding schedule, but Brandy and Jeff seemed to be thriving. Brandy’s mother was also very close to the family during that time, and often helped to take care of the kids. The couple owned a large rural property near Bull Creek, and when Jeff eventually retired, he opened a small welding business there.

Now, Brandy and Jeff were doing very well, but there were hints that they were perhaps doing a little too well, considering they were living off Brandy’s firefighter salary, Jeff’s pension, and the welding shop. Brandy purchased her beloved Silverado that she was driving the night she went missing, and she seemed to have a thing for gold jewelry. The couple also spent lot on the kids, without appearing especially worried about their finances. In July of 2005, everything would come to a crashing halt when the reason for this largess became apparent. That was the day that Jeff Hall and his friend Paul Hirsch were arrested for running a large scale, lucrative marijuana growing operation out of a barn and mobile home on the Bull Creek property. Brandy had to come bail Jeff out of prison, using money she had borrowed from long-time friend, Charles Ronnie McLellan. I bring up this detail because it was fairly common for Brandy to borrow money from Charles, often in exchange for welding work, and because it holds some relevance for the forces surrounding Brandy’s later disappearance.

Statements differ as to how much Brandy knew about the operation. Jeff insisted, and continues to insist, that Brandy was completely in the dark, and that he told her that the extra money was coming from renting out parts of the property. However, Randall Richmond would state that she did know about it, although she did not contribute to running it, and some investigating agents supported this theory as well. One said she admitted to this during questioning, and that she even appeared fearful of retaliation from other people in the drug business. Either way, her name was on the property and so she, too, was arrested and charged. The charges were later dropped, but the incident was enough to cost Brandy her job at the Palm Bay Fire Department.

The following year was a difficult time for Brandy and her family. The welding business was now their sole source of income, and Brandy was forced to pick up odd jobs with a friend’s construction business. She also needed to keep up her training as a firefighter so her licenses did not expire, she began doing unpaid volunteer work for the Malabar fire station. Jeff’s sentencing was set for August 18th, 2006. The couple was almost certain that Jeff would receive jail time, but they did not know how long his sentence would be. Brandy planned to appear as a character witness in Jeff’s favor, and Randall Richmond had told Jeff he would do the same.

However, when the morning in question arrived, Jeff went to court, but there was no sign of Brandy and she was not answering any of her husband’s increasingly frantic calls. By this point, Jeff had called the Malabar station and learned that Brandy had left her shift early. Brandy’s family members were also concerned, and began searching for her. At one point, Randall Richmond called Jeff and told him that he would not be testifying after all. Jeff asked him if he had heard from Brandy, and Randall allegedly hung up on him at this point.

Jeff went through with his court date, and was sentenced to eighteen months in prison. Meanwhile, Brandy’s mother was learning of a disturbing incident that had happened earlier that day. Around noon, a man had been fishing at a small, out-of-the way pond when his line caught on what turned out to be some of Brandy Hall’s firefighting gear. He also recovered a cooler from the pond, and this all seemed strange enough that he alerted law enforcement. They made the connection between the missing woman and the items in the pond, and they also noticed something even more suspicious. On one side of the pond, there were tracks leading into the water, as though a vehicle had been driven into it. The pond was drained, and Brandy’s truck was found in a section estimated to be twenty feet deep. The windows were rolled down, and the interior of the vehicle had filled with water. Despite extensive searches of both the pond and the wooded area surrounding it, nothing else linked to Brandy was found.

There was blood inside the truck, later identified as Brandy’s, underneath the steering wheel and on the driver’s side door. What was interesting to note was that the blood had remained visible in the truck despite being submerged in water for an unknown period of time. Because of this, it was difficult to gauge how much blood had originally been present, or if was enough to indicate an immediately fatal injury (although, when Brandy was legally declared dead, the consensus seemed to be that it was). It was estimated that in order to dry, the blood would have had to have been in the truck for 6 to 8 hours before being put in the pond.

Needless to say, police had a lot of questions for the newly-incarcerated Jeff. Jeff’s alibi was weak, but consistent, with him stating that he had been home with his son and daughter the whole night. His attitude was described as “uncooperative” by law enforcement. It should be noted at this point that Jeff’s attorneys were actively discouraging him from sharing any information with authorities, worried that it could be used against him at his future re-trial for the marijuana charges (this was based on the assertion that the operation had been discovered during an illegal property search).  Jeff did, however, insist that Brandy would not have left their children of her own volition, especially when she knew he was likely to get prison time.

However, there was another person that authorities had on their radar from early in the investigation: Randall Richmond. After Brandy’s phone records were obtained, they found out about the last phone call Brandy made after leaving the fire station. This raised a red flag, because Randall, as Brandy’s former boss and longtime friend of the family, had been interviewed shortly after she went missing, and he claimed that he had not had any recent contact with her. When confronted with his new information, his story changed significantly.

Brandy had talked with him that night, Randall stated, but he had not said anything because he had promised Brandy he wouldn’t. Brandy had called to tell him that she was “leaving.” She said that she was at the Sunoco station waiting for someone to bring her money, but she did not specify who was helping her, or where she was going, or how long she intended to be gone. She told him to throw away the telephone he was using to speak with her, and so he did.

While it wasn’t completely impossible that a woman facing marital, legal, and financial problems would want to skip out on her obligations for some undetermined length of time, the fact that she would have abandoned the children, and the blood in the truck, made authorities consider foul play a serious possibility. And there was more. According to phone records, Randall never attempted to contact Brandy after speaking with her on the night of August 17th–which was very strange, considering the average number of phone contacts between the two of them had been no fewer than 52 a day.

As the police questioned more people, they discovered that Brandy and Randall had been having an affair, one that had likely been going on for ten years and that was an open secret among almost everyone that knew them. In fact, the only people that may not have known were Jeff Hall, and, much more arguably, Randall’s wife Anne-Marie Richmond. Anne-Marie, who worked as a nurse, reacted angrily when her husband confessed the ongoing affair while being questioned, but there are signs that she had suspicions well before that point. Although the two families had been close for years, Anne-Marie had recently become more distant and acted as though she did not want Brandy around her sons. Then there was an exchange between Brandy and Anne-Marie that took place at a local seafood festival which the fire department was helping to run. Reports of what exactly was said and how heated it became vary greatly, and Randall Richmond was inclined to downplay the confrontation when asked about it. He stated that Brandy had made a comment to him about why he bothered to wear his wedding ring, becoming more and more vocal until Anne-Marie confronted her.

In light of this, law enforcement also had to look at Anne-Marie’s movements on the night that Brandy disappeared. All that could be determined about them was that she got done with her nursing shift at the hospital at 11:00 pm and then spent the rest of the night at home with her teenage sons. Anne-Marie and Randall would ultimately divorce in 2013.

As for Jeff’s part, he insisted he had only heard rumors about Brandy and Randall but did not take them seriously. However, after his release from prison, he found another phone in his house that had belonged to Brandy and saw the numerous messages between them. At that point, he became convinced. As a side note, I am not certain if this phone was ever turned over to authorities or if it was ever scrutinized for information beyond the confirmation of the affair.

The drug angle was considered but ruled out fairly quickly. Despite the apparent size of the operations, there was little evidence of trade being extensive, or of co-conspirators who had much to lose. Jeff was already pleading guilty and not implicating anyone. The focus of the investigation had turned to Randall, but there was one seeming problem: the five coworkers who had been with him at the station that night all swore he had never left. There were no emergency calls while he was on duty, and so everyone had stayed inside the station. Randall had his own room to sleep in, but everyone insisted that they would have heard the large bay doors open if Randall drove away in one of the vehicles.

At first, this might seem to rule out Randall as being directly involved in Brandy’s disappearance. However, there are two points of contention that need to be examined. For one thing, there were spare vehicles kept in the Palm Bay fire station parking lot as well as inside the station itself. All Randall would have needed to do was walk out through a side door and use one of them. In addition, Randall kept a portable radio to listen to emergency services radio traffic. There was also a radio kept at the station that served the same purpose. Randall’s portable radio was turned on at about 12:30 am in the early morning of August 18th. If he was at the station and had access to the radio there, he would not have had a reason to turn on the portable unit. I confess that I do not know enough about radios to state with confidence that this is something that could be reliably indicated, but if accurate, it dovetails with the time of a possible sighting of Brandy which I will discuss below.

Where this all becomes really interesting is a police tip sheet that was turned in the night Brandy went missing and which was ignored for five years afterwards. At around 12:30 am, officer Jasmine Campbell was driving by a gas station near the interstate when she saw a fire chief’s vehicle parked outside. Curious as to why a fire chief would be at that location, she drove around behind the gas station into the deserted parking lot of a Home Depot. There, she saw a green Silverado truck with two people inside. One of them, was a woman with “long blonde hair” sitting in the driver’s seat. All of Brandy’s photographs show her to be fair-haired, but she appears to have had different hair lengths at different ages, and I am not certain what it looked like at the time she vanished. Records show that there were only two fire chiefs on duty that night, one of which was Randall. The other man had a more solid alibi and was accounted for the whole night. While Officer Campbell’s description matches Brandy’s truck, I have not actually seen that she included the license plate number, which would have confirmed it.

Nearly a year passed (during which Randall refused offers of polygraph tests) before there was another development in Brandy’s case. On June 24th, 2007, in a canal 30 miles south of Malabar, a group of teenagers found Brandy’s camouflage backpack floating in the water. It was the backpack that Brandy had used to hold her pain medication, fire department radio, and the gun that she always carried. When investigators opened it, they did not find any of these items. Instead, there were some articles of clothing, pornographic DVDs, a tube of cream meant to be used in sexual activity, and some metal squares which were believed to have been used in an attempt to sink the backpack. Brandy’s address book was also inside, and the ink was not badly smeared. This indicated that the backpack had not been in water the entire time that Brandy had been missing. In fact, the canals had all been drained around the same time that Brandy had gone missing, and there had been no sign of the backpack, lending credence to the argument that it had been deposited relatively recently.

It was nearly a year after the recovery of the backpack that yet another item linked to Brandy surfaced, in yet another body of water (that’s three counting the truck). One of her old fire helmets was found at the marina in Indian Harbor, a few miles north of Malabar. Unlike the backpack, the helmet was not believed to be linked to Brandy’s disappearance. It had not been in her possession the night she vanished, and it had been kept in the welding shop on the Hall’s property. It was ultimately concluded that the helmet had been stolen at some unknown point, and then discarded.

There was one final strange coda in Brandy’s case.  A photograph of Brandy appeared on a social media site, linked with a user also called “Brandy.” It was a rare photograph, one that her father had kept in his wallet, and a crease was reported to be visible, indicating to those who saw it that it was a duplicate of that same picture. This strange incident was mentioned near the end of Murder on the Space Coast’s coverage, and I have not seen it referred to in any other sources about the case. At this stage, until we learn more about it, I think we have to conclude that this is unrelated to the disappearance, and is the result of someone, somehow, getting a hold of the photograph and learning the name of the woman depicted (perhaps her name was written on the back?). This is most likely an aggravating coincidence in the same manner as the fire helmet, but I don’t see it pointing in any other direction at the moment.

Final Thoughts

There is a lot of dishonesty from all parties involved in this case, but I am not interested in judging any of the key players. What I am interested in is discerning which falsehoods are most likely to be relevant to Brandy’s disappearance. I doubt Brandy left of her own accord, both due to the difficulty in maintaining a long-term disappearance as well as the indicators of assault found in the truck. At the very least, I doubt Brandy would have ditched her only known mode of transportation and prized truck in her efforts to escape. However, I don’t think that we can completely discount the possibility that she may have been considering doing something of this sort. It seems unlikely that Brandy would have chosen to leave her children at this crucial juncture, but even the best parents have been known to do selfish things, and there were heavy financial, legal, and marital stressors involved. We can never know the full extent of what Randall and Brandy’s relationship meant to either of them, but based on the apparent length of the affair and the frequency of contact between them, it is reasonable to surmise that it was a serious enough relationship for Brandy to view it as a way out. The incident at the seafood festival provides some evidence that she may have wanted Randall to leave his wife for her. Randall has stated that he and Brandy had been arguing over this issue in the days leading up to her disappearance (although he may not be the most reliable source as we will discuss shortly).

Of course, we should not accept Brandy’s disappearance hours before Jeff’s sentencing as a coincidence. There are a couple of different interpretations we can get from this. Law enforcement was fairly quick to dismiss the idea that what happened to Brandy was related to her husband’s marijuana growing operation, based on the above discussion. However, we do have to ask whether Jeff was absolutely certain that Brandy was going to testify in his favor, or if he was genuinely ignorant of the affair at this point. It’s difficult to deny that there was potential for serious conflict between Jeff and Brandy, and it’s not completely far-fetched to imagine Brandy returning home and having some kind of confrontation with her husband. However, nothing in Jeff’s subsequent actions really cast him in a suspicious light. In recent articles and interviews, he seems active in the investigation and concerned for Brandy’s fate. He was up-front about his discovery of the second cell phone, when he could have concealed it and claimed never to have known about the affair between Brandy and Randall.

However, I think there is also a way to view a connection between Jeff’s sentencing date and Brandy’s disappearance in a way that casts suspicion on Randall. We know that at some point between evening of August 17th and the morning of August 18th, Randall appeared to change his mind about testifying for Jeff, and we know that there was contact between himself and Brandy immediately after she left the Malabar fire station. Then, approximately an hour and a half later, there is the sighting of someone who was almost certainly Brandy in her truck with someone else, and the fire chief’s truck parked nearby. There was no shortage of things that Brandy and Randall could fight about. Randall has stated that his wife resented how much he did for Jeff and Brandy, and thought the couple was using him. He also said that there had been recent conflict between himself and Brandy because she wanted him to leave his wife. Then, there is the question of if Randall would appear at Jeff’s sentencing or not, and his abrupt heel-turn on the issue. Allegedly, Randall did this because he was worried about the impact on his own career. What if he told Brandy he had changed his mind, and this sparked an argument that turned physical? There is one final detail I should add. It has been stated that the pond where Brandy’s truck was found was familiar to the fire department as a source of water, and that it was one of the spots where Brandy and Randall would often meet.

If, in fact, Randall did harm Brandy, I personally doubt he set out with the intention to do so. If there was any active planning on his part, it seemed as if he would have chosen a more opportune time then slipping out in the middle of his shift on what just happened to be a quiet night. I also think that if Officer Campbell did see Brandy and Randall together in Brandy’s truck, then Randall would also have seen her approaching and examining the vehicle. Knowing his familiarity with law enforcement, and assuming he wasn’t an idiot, that should have nixed any designs he may have had. So, I think some kind of unplanned scenario involving an escalation of violence is much more likely. The dried blood in the truck indicates that Brandy’s remains were disposed of at a separate location, while the truck was abandoned before being pushed into the pond.  As for Anne-Marie, it is possible that she was also somehow involved in Brandy’s disappearance, during or after the fact, but there is nothing that strongly indicates this based on current evidence.

If I had to make an educated guess about the events of August 17th and 18th of 2006, it would be to say that Brandy left the Malabar station with the intention of meeting with Randall Richmond–perhaps to ask for money, perhaps because she wanted them to leave their respective spouses for one another, perhaps to ensure that he would testify in her husband’s favor. At some point after 12:30 am but before 6:00 am, there was a confrontation that result in Brandy being fatally injured. The dried blood in the truck indicates that Brandy’s remains were disposed of at a separate location, while the truck was abandoned before being deposited in the pond. This is all, I’m sure you understand, entirely speculative.

I have done my best to treat everyone involved in this case with respect, while still remaining true to the known facts. Brandy Hall had flaws and problems in her life, but then, who doesn’t? Most of those that knew her also describe her as brave, caring, and strong. One of her coworkers at the Malabar Fire Station described her as “a once in a lifetime person–someone who genuinely wanted to help people.” She was determined to master every skill within her field, up to and including venomous reptile handling (not such a far-fetched scenario, this being Florida). As a child, she had suffered devastating injuries, but they did not deter her from challenging herself and fulfilling her potential. Even in light of the problems in their marriage, Jeff Hall still describes her as someone who loved their children and would not have deserted them. These same children, as well as all of Brandy’s friends, coworkers, and family members, have had to go for thirteen years without quite knowing what happened to her, and this is the impact I hope to leave with this article. 

Podcasts and Videos that have covered Brandy’s case:

Disappeared Episode

True Crime Daily

Crime Junkie

Murder On the Space Coast

Case Summaries and Relevant News Articles

Charley Project Page

What Happened to Me?

Family Memorial Service

Brandy is declared legally dead in 2015

Recent Search for Brandy’s Remains (delayed due to recent hurricane activity)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: